How to determine if you have mould in your plaster?
If you notice any dark irregular marks on your walls or ceiling keep an eye on them and see if they grow or more appear. If you have had a water leak then it can cause the plaster to get wet and insulation to soak up the water.
With the insulation being wet this will cause the plaster to stay wet and allow the mould to grow. The affected plaster and wet insulation needs to be removed and disposed of properly. The affected plaster and insulation should be placed in a garbage bag and straight into the bin, making sure you vacuum the dust straight away.
This ceiling area started out as a small patch, about the size of your fist. The client just painted over thinking it was a stain. After a few weeks the area grew to what you can see here. The mould could have been spreading harmful spores into the are and harming your family.
Once the cause of the mould (leak) had been fixed you will need to cut out and remove all the affected plaster. Even if the plaster doesn't have mould, it can be growing underneath, so make sure you remove more plaster then you think is necessary.
This is what was on the underside of the plaster, growing mould spreading unnoticed to the eye.
The first thing to do when tackling mould is to be prepared for the worst. Wear appropriate clothing and protective gear. Long sleeves, gloves, respirator (suitable for mould) and eye protection or face shield.
This respirator is for both airborne particles (wet and dry) and dust, it keeps out all particles that are harmful to you.
These goggles help keep all the dust and harmful mould spores out of your eyes.
If you don't have any goggles you can use some glasses to protect your eyes. This basic safety equipment is needed to keep the harmful mould off you and stop you from breathing it in.
If you have a large drop sheet or something you can use to catch the dust it would be good, but not necessary.
Once you are prepared with all your safety gear you can start to remove the plaster and insulation. Once you have removed the affected area you can proceed to patch the area.
If you don't want to take the risk and prefer to get it professionally removed then you can call Adam's Handy Hands
PH: 0419 393 179